So Pancakes are a big thing in our house…. a huge thing. Actually I would have to say that it is my darling children’s favorite breakfast food! So when my youngest and went Gluten-Free that was one thing that we missed. So it became my mission to find something GOOD to replace it with. Man did we try some AWFUL pancakes! I have finally concocted a recipe that is a smashing success in my house, and a great way to add fiber to your diet! Let me just tell you that I have to triple the batch and there are usually only 2-4 left! They are hearty and sooo good and easily changed to be extra yummy(see below)!
3/4 c. milk
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1/2 c. quick oats*
1/2 c. Gluten Free flour**
1-2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. oil(I use Smart Balance as a healthy option)
cinnamon – to taste(optional – we love cinnamon so make sure if you do add it that you add to your tastes accordingly
1) Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”.
2) Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg & oil into milk, then add to flour mixture. Mix.
3)Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Watch for bubbles, though there will not be as many as with reg. flour pancakes. Flip and cook until brown on other side.
4) Drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy!
*You can leave the oats whole or put them in the food processor to make them a little more finer. I love oatmeal and the texture, so I leave them.
**remember the xanthan gum if you use one of the first 2 homemade recipes!
- Add chocolate chips to mix once dry and wet ingredients have been mixed. For a triple batch I normally put 1/2 a small bag. This is for a special treat!
- Add chocolate syrup – just add until it looks chocolatey enough! We like Nesquik because it doesn’t have High Fructose Corn Syrup. This is an extra special treat in our house! And…. shhhhhhh…. it really is yummy!
- New option that I just tried this morning. Add nutmeg to taste and 1 mushed banana to the mix. Soooo good! Make sure you put the cinnamon in with this one!
And just in case you are interested in the amazing griddle my wonderful father-in-law got me for Christmas… It is the Presto Family Size Cool-Touch Tilt ‘n Drain Electric Griddle. Seriously one of the most amazing gifts I have ever gotten! I can whip of batches of pancakes, turkey bacon, dinner patties, eggs, etc. in MINUTES! My triple batch of pancakes cooks in about 20 minutes total. You can check it out here!