Tofu. I would say that the word would give me the shivers before going gluten-free. I have very little tofu that I liked. Then I had to start adding things to my diet as I eliminated most everything else, and tofu came into play. I am learning how good it can be!
This is a simple recipe I found that was very yummy! It’s simple, and tasty, and can easily be adapted to your tastes with what spices you choose to add to the mix! And don’t let the title fool you… this recipe is NOT spicy, it is super flavorful!
I made a double batch of these, and they were so good that there was seriously NOTHING left!
Spiced Tofu Nuggets
1 (16 oz) package extra-firm tofu
2 cups broth(vegetable or chicken… I used chicken)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup white rice flour(for a non-GF version simply replace with All-Purpose Flour)
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp sage
1 tsp garlic(put in how much you like.. I think I put in more then that, but we LOVE garlic!)
1) Gently squeeze excess liquid out of drained tofu. Here is my suggestion. Take tofu, once squeezed out, and slice into 1/2″ thick slices. Then slices again into 1/2″ wide sticks. Take sticks, place between paper towel or in a dish towel and gently squeeze out excess liquid again. Then I took the sticks and cut them in half to give me more of a nugget size.
2) Place tofu in bowl and pour broth over top. Set aside to soak while mixing dry ingredients. I actually did this a little bit before I was ready, then took and placed the pieces in a flat container and put them in the freezer while I mixed the dry ingredients.
3) In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, and spices.
4) Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
5) Remove tofu sticks from broth(if you didn’t do the freezer step), and squeeze most of the liquid from them. Roll in flour mixture until well coated. Place tofu in hot oil and fry until crisp and browned. You will need to fry them extra long**, as white rice flour doesn’t brown up easily! When done, place on paper towel to get any remaining oil out of nuggets, though these are NOT oily!
**Trust me though the extra frying is so worth it! The most crispy the better!
Now plate and serve! This is a great Gluten-Free and vegetarian alternative to add to any meal! Or even as an after school snack! My kids prefer them with ketchup, but my husband and I loooved them with Peronnaise!
1 cup Vegenaise(or Mayo if that is more your speed)
3 Tbsp DiChickO’s Peri-Peri Marinade(though you can adjust to suit your spice preference)
Mix and enjoy! We use this as a dipping sauce, on top of lentils, salads, haystacks, fajitas…. the list goes on and on!
Don’t have DiChickO’s sauces sold near you?? You can buy it directly from DiChickO’s Onlines or on Amazon. They also ship worldwide now!!! Yay! Their products are amazing and soooo good! We know and have worked with the couple the owns/runs DiChickO’s and they are wonderful!
If you are ever in Augusta, GA you HAVE to make a stop at DiChickO’s Peri-Peri Cafe too! They have some of THE most amazing food! And a bonus……. they have gluten-free items! They use Coconut wraps in their Flaps for gluten-free alternatives, and I LOVE them! My favorites are their Turkey Avocado Flap(turkey, avocado, grilled onions, provolone cheese) or their Mediterranean Hummus Flap(cucumbers, black olives, tomatoes, onions, spring mix feta cheese & hummus). OMG, now I’m hungry!
Ok…. on that note, now that I’m drooling over my own blog post and memories of their yummy food………….. I am going to make lunch! Enjoy!